Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Some things I'm thankful for...

It's so easy to get caught up in thinking about all the things I want. Things I don't have, but wish I did. This is especially hard to avoid in the blogging world, when so many blogs are filled with images of beautiful clothing, homes, and other desirable must-haves. I could write many posts about things I want, like a single family home in the city, or a cute dress from Anthropologie.

Love the print on this Anthropologie dress!
 It's so easy to get caught up in wanting more, and I think to some extent that is ok. For instance, I want a baby someday, and a slightly larger home at some point in the future. You have to have something you're working towards and looking forward to, or life would be pretty boring. But it's important to be happy with what you already have, especially when there are so many people in our world who struggle to survive on so little. When I stop to think about it, I feel very lucky to have so many non-material riches, and it puts things in prospective to list them in one place. I'm going to look back to this list on grumpy days, when I get frustrated with feeling like life is too hard.

I'm Thankful For...

A Loving Husband-- He's really the best guy out there, and I tell him every day how happy I am that we are together. We get along so well, and almost five years into our marriage I am still in awe of how easy it is for us. He loves my cooking, rarely grumbles when I ask him to take out the trash, and makes me laugh. It sounds so cliché, but he really is my best friend, and I'm so lucky to spend every day with him!


A Comfortable Home-- Ok, this is more material, but still something I'm very grateful for. We've owned our condo for 3 years, and I still am a bit it awe that we actually own this place! Chicago is an expensive city, and I dream of living here but also someday having a house, but really I'm so thankful for the well-built, decorated and furnished, 2-bedroom, 1,000 square feet that belong to us. Well, belong to us and the bank, but I'm going to look past that part on my list of good things :)


My Family-- We may be spread out over five different states, but I still feel close to my parents and three siblings. We can make each other crazy, but more often we make each other happy. There is a lot of love and laughter in my family, and I'm so thankful for the good relationships we have with each other. Although I would maybe love my sister more if she started a blog of her own... right Laura? 





My Friends-- I have great friends, here in Chicago, and all around the country. I could go on and on about how wonderful all these people are, but I'll just leave it at saying I wouldn't be the person I am without having so many amazing friends. I blogged about it before here.

My Health-- Joe and I are active people, who eat well and take care of our bodies. I'm thankful for the strength and motivation to run and work out, and to enjoy doing things like running races. I'm also so grateful Joe has recently started biking, since his bum knee has prevented him from running for the last couple years. I don't take for granted that we are healthy and active.


So I might not have a million dollars or the killer wardrobe I dream of, but I still think I can qualify as being rich. What are you the most thankful for in your life?

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I often find myself pining away for things I don't have. (I'm jealous you own a condo!) Good to remember the good stuff we have.

    And yes I have been to the Meatloaf Bakerly and LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate - my husband and I own our condo and I know that I should be thankful for this, but I oftentimes find myself wishing that we lived in a single family home. I need to remind myself to be happy with what we have and trust that when the time is right we will move!

    ReplyDelete