Friday, April 22, 2011

Homebrew Dinner

A few weeks ago, Joe and I went to the first Square Kegs homebrewers get together, and had the chance to meet other homebrewers at this event put on by the Lincoln Square Chamber of Commerce. The event was at Red Lion, a British pub that just opened up a block from our house, and we had a wonderful time meeting tons of cool people and drinking their tasty homebrewed beers.  Among the people we chatted with that night were two other married couples who enjoy brewing together, and we decided in our somewhat tipsy state that it would be a great idea to have a dinner at one of our houses, where everyone brought beer to share, and contributed one of the courses. Sounds like fun, right?

Great references for planning a beer dinner!

I adore hosting dinners at our house, so I took the initiative to email the other couples in order to get something officially planned. Last night we had everyone over to our house for dinner, and had an excellent time eating, drinking, and talking about beer! We did talk about other things, too, but obviously everyone enjoyed discussing favorite brew techniques, craft beers, and bars or restaurants around the city.


Yesterday happened to be my day off from work, so I had lots of time to prep dinner and to clean up the house. I also had time to rig up two tables next to each other, since our regular dinning room table is super tiny and only seats four people! Notice where the table cloth dips down?


As we were getting ready for dinner, I pointed out to Joe that we really didn't know our guests at all. Luckily, they weren't psychotic murders, but instead were smart, interesting, all around cool people! We had a fantastic time eating all of the food, and really enjoyed getting to know everyone. We ended the evening with a promise to do another dinner in the future, and I sincerely hope this happens. I think this dinner goes to prove that homebrewers are the best people out there!


Sonya and Jack brought an amazing assortment of cheese from Pastoral, and Pedro and Angela made delicious homemade biscotti and macaroons. I made grilled chicken, goat cheese mashed potatoes, and roasted green beans and cremini mushrooms. What a great meal we had!

2 comments:

  1. that sounds awesome! way to take initiative and host it. looks like a good dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome time!

    P.S. I'm having a fun accessories swap on my blog, I'd love for you to join in!

    ReplyDelete