Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Welcoming fall to Chicago!


Last weekend I work up a bit early on Saturday morning, and had a lovely quiet morning ahead of me. My breakfast is usually something simple, like an english muffin or some scrambled eggs, but this calm autumn morning had me feeling inspired to make something a little bit more special. I had a can of pumpkin, and a tub of oatmeal... so on to Google I went!


This recipe came from allrecipes.com, though I did modify it based on what I had on hand. In the process, I ended up making them a little healthier, too. Perfect! These were fantastic on that first morning, still warm from the oven and paired with some good coffee and a cozy spot on the couch. The nice thing about muffins is that you have more leftover, too. I always freeze the leftovers, and pull them out throughout the week for a special weekday breakfast treat. I'm going to be sure to make these again while we're in the midst of this ideal fall weather.



Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from this recipe

Makes 18 muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1 can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup applesauce (or 3/4 cup more pumpkin)
1 cup milk
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup maple syrup ( ran out, but would add this full amount if I had it available)

1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray one or two muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners. The recipe will make about 16-18 muffins.

Whisk dry ingredients (from flour to baking soda) in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, applesauce, milk, eggs, and maple syrup. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until the batter is smooth. Fold the oats into the batter. Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tin, filing them to the top.

Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool for at least 5 to 10 minutes before serving.


Anyone have any favorite fall recipes they want to share? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment