Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter!

Easter has become one of my favorite holidays in recent years. For one thing, it's one of the only holidays that I can actually request off at work. It's an important holiday for my faith, but also a quick enough holiday that we can't really make a big deal out of it. It's not really a holiday for traveling, and as my only day off for the week I can't make too much of a fuss about it. And since we don't travel to see family, the traditions of Easter are defined by Joe and I, without influence from previous family traditions. That's not to say I don't love spending other holidays with our families, but it's really special to start your own traditions as a married couple. 


We celebrated Easter service at our new church, which we've been attending since this past summer. After years of feeling frustrated but comfortable with the faith that I'd been raised in, it has been really exciting to choose a church that really fits. I love the community at this church, and celebrating Easter service in this setting made me really feel at peace with where I am in life right now. During the sermon, the priest said something that really stuck with me-- You can't know Easter without Good Friday. That really spoke to me, since I feel like we've really experienced darkness like "Good Friday" within the past year. But we experience Easter in our loving families, supportive friends, and beautiful life we've been blessed with. And I know there will be more heartbreak and pain in our lives, but through keeping faith and carrying on, we will also truly experience Easter. 

After a beautiful and contemplative service, we came home to do what we do best-- a whole lot of eating! Joe and I have brunch every year after Easter service, and we make it a point to be indulgent. Some years we've gone out to a nice restaurant, but we also really enjoy feasting at home. A tasty spread and multiple mimosas filled us up, as we sat near the sunny windows and enjoyed signs of spring coming to Chicago. 

I hope your Easter was spent with your loved ones, 
enjoying each others company and the promising signs of Spring!


1 comment:

  1. dude. you described easter perfectly and why i've come to love it so much over the past few years. for, literally, the exact same reasons. and thank you for sharing the "we wouldn't know easter without good friday" perspective - so true. something for me to really think on. thanks erin!

    ReplyDelete