Saturday, March 9, 2013

Catching Up

Well crap. The month of February just flew by, huh? I really didn't mean to stop blogging for a month, but the late winter blues hit hard, and I just couldn't find anything I really felt like writing about. Life hasn't been bad lately; in fact, it's been pretty great overall. So how about a quick recap, and we'll get this show back on schedule?

The last month has been filled with mostly classic winter things-- cooking big pots of soup, cozy movie nights at home, and plenty of grumbling about if spring is ever going to come. And after a super dry start to the winter, all the snow came in the last month or so. I've still been pushing myself to run outside, as a friend and I train for the Shamrock Shuffle 8k at the beginning of April. This has felt like a big accomplishment to me, because this is the first year I've run outside after Thanksgiving. I know I wouldn't be able to do it alone, so I'm really thankful my friend Megan keeps agreeing to run with me!



Another workout I've been getting really into is yoga. There is a great little studio two blocks from my house, and I did a one month new student special where I could take unlimited classes for $50. So I tried to take classes 2-3 times a week, to make it worth the money. What a good idea that is, because now I'm totally hooked! I'm going to buy a regular punch card to take more classes in the future, and I'm also planning to try out the yoga classes at my gym, since they're included in the membership. I like that yoga helps me to relax and calm my mind. It can be hard for me to slow down, but I'm getting a lot better. And it is a legit workout, too. I have a LONG way to go in terms of flexibility and balance, but I saw improvements just in that first month.  Do you love yoga?  I used to think it was so boring, but I just had a bad first experience and took years to try again. Now it's my #1 choice for a workout!

Beyond working out... my job is going really well. After about 5 months in my new position, I'm finally feeling mostly settled and on top of things. I still have plenty to learn, but my stress and anxiety has pretty much faded away, and I feel like I'm doing a good job connecting with the team members and maybe even helping them. Yay!  Our friends are great too, and Joe and I regularly marvel at how lucky we are to know so many great people around this city. We met some new friends through church last month, and had a great night out getting to know them. In the winter it's easy to just be homebodies, so we've been pushing to make sure to connect with friends outside of the house at least once or twice a week. 


And, lastly, we finally saw Book of Mormon on Wednesday night. It was fantastic! Great singing and dancing, wonderful characters, and just the right amount of crude and offensive joking. It was hilarious, and it was fun to be in a theatre setting where people were laughing so hard. It was four or five months between when we bought the tickets and when we go to see the show, so there had been a lot of build up to that night. It really was a great performance, and we left the theatre feeling like it was definitely worth the wait. 

And now, I really feel like Spring is just around the corner! We're headed to see my parents in two weeks, and to Europe about a month after that. So lots to look forward to as we make this final push through the cold weather. We're going to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment