Thursday, October 6, 2011

Parks in the City

Last night I was supposed to go to the gym, but my hips have been sore since I did yoga & ran a few miles earlier in the week. I decided to wait one more day before going back to the gym, and took a long walk around my neighborhood instead. What a great decision that was! The weather has been beautiful in Chicago this week, warming up to the mid-70's each day. This meant lots of people were out and about, especially as I did a lap around a big park a few blocks south of our condo.

Here's the thing about parks in a city. Land is at a premium in most city neighborhoods, so back yards tend to be small, or all out absent. Many people live in multi-unit buildings, and the yard consists of some sidewalk and a small patch of slightly dead grass. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make, to be in such a vibrant and bustling city. And when you settle in to city living, you quickly learn that the parks are a giant shared backyard.


Walking around the park last night, I felt so happy to call Chicago home. I especially love my neighborhood, Lincoln Square, and am so grateful that Joe and I chose this neighborhood for our first home owning experience.

The park was bustling last night, full of people working out, practicing with sports teams, and walking approximately one million dogs. The tennis court was full, and the playground was swarming with kids. I saw baseball, football, and soccer practice, as well as a full game of ultimate frisbee. Little kids were practicing their bike riding, and runners were avoiding them by running on a side trail. Walking through this busy park made me pretty happy to call it my backyard!


And in case anyone was wondering, I did manage to get to the gym for tonight's workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment