Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful

I've been avoiding blogging lately, but what better time than the holidays to get back into it? So, here I am. I swear, I'll be more consistent for a while now! Most of my time at work is spent in front of a computer these days, so it takes extra motivation to sit in front of the computer at night, too. Yet I spend all evening playing around on my addictive iphone, so I should try to channel a little of that time wasting into something more productive, like blogging. AmIright?

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable day surrounded by friends and family. I spent the first part of the day at work, trying to sell a few more turkeys before it was too late. Not my dream holiday, but I kept reminding myself that I do really like my job, and this is just part of the trade off. Then it was off to meet Joe at his parent's house, for the classic Turkey dinner, plenty of drinking, some card games, and a nice relaxing evening. I missed my family, all together in Colorado, but was happy to be with the newer additions to my family that I acquired when I said, "I do". I ate too much and got a  little tipsy, so I'd say that's a successful holiday!

via


I've spent a lot of time during the last few months thinking about all the things that I am thankful for. There's a glaring hole in my life at the moment, one that's taking far too long to fill. Joe and I are desperate to start a family, and as the months pass and nothing happens, it's easy to get marred down in emotions like bitterness and jealousy. But when I stop and think about it, I still have so much to be thankful for.

More than anything in the world, I'm thankful for that cute guy I met on the first weekend of college 11 years ago. It turned out he would be my rock, and the most loving, supportive, fun husband I could have ever asked for. When everything else seems to be going wrong, Joe always tops my list of things I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for amazing friends, here in Chicago and spread across the country. I am so lucky in the friend department, and don't take this for granted. And my family, also scattered in many states. My family makes me who I am, and loves me despite my teeny, tiny, practically nonexistant flaws. I miss them every day, but I am so grateful to know they're always just a phone call away.

A beautiful condo in a city I adore. A healthy body and a love for exercise (most days!). Travel to far away places, especially warm places with sand. Warm coats and hats during a Chicago winter. A kitchen full of food. A paid off car. Paydays on Friday, and finally being at a place where we're not worried about money. Tasty restaurants and well stocked bars within walking distance from my house. My fancy new camera. Some small things, some bigger-- just a few of the little things I'm thankful for in my life.

Most days, that's enough. And when I'm feeling especially down, I can also give thanks that 2012 will be over soon. This year was by far the worst year of my life, and I'm eager to put it behind me. I feel hope for 2013, that it's a year full of as many good memories as this year, without the bits of heartache scattered in between.

And I'm thankful for this silly little blog. If nothing else, it's a wonderful place share my thoughts. Thanks for reading... I'm thankful for you!

1 comment:

  1. erin - i'm so sorry 2012 has not been a banner year (to say the least). you and joe are in my thoughts and i truly hope 2013 will make your path to becoming parents clearer. sometimes i think having a blog during dark times in our life can be so helpful, as it allows us to sit and be still and think of things in our life that are wonderful, as it seems so often during the day the bad things hang over us and weigh us down. while it's important to be honest in our blogs, too, reminding ourselves of what we have, and going back to read old posts that take joy in those things, can help quiet our minds, if only for a little bit. i hope the christmas season is wonderful for you and joe and that sooner, rather than later, you'll have another person in your family to share all of these wonderful things with.

    ReplyDelete